By: Eric Mittenthal
Losing weight is one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions to make. In fact, surveys show that losing weight and exercising more are often the most common resolutions made by Americans. Sadly, they are often the hardest to keep. There’s good news for meat lovers looking to lose weight – keeping meat and poultry on the menu can help with long-term success. Meat and poultry have several nutrition benefits that can make weight loss plans a long term success. With that in mind, the American Meat Institute presents the top ten reasons to make meat and poultry part of your New Year’s plans.
1) Nutrition Experts Recommend it: The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends people eat five to seven ounces of meat per day as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
2) A Complete Protein: Meat & poultry proteins contain all nine essential amino acids needed for growth and good overall health,
3) Packed with Nutrients: Meat is also a great source for iron, magnesium, zinc, niacin, selenium, riboflavin and B-vitamins that help your body turn food into energy
4) Fills You Up: Studies show meat can aid in weight loss by providing a sense of satisfaction that helps to control appetite and metabolize food more efficiently
5) Low Calorie Options Galore: There are at least 29 lean cuts of beef; at least six lean cuts of pork and numerous poultry cuts that are leaner and have less calories than a 3 oz. serving of salmon
6) Easy to Prepare: There are numerous recipes available for quick, healthful meals with meat and poultry of all types
7) Versatility: Whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, as an appetizer, in a salad, as an entrée, in a sandwich or any other way you can imagine, meat and poultry products are available in more convenient and versatile ways then ever.
8) Sausage! Here are five low calorie recipes for delicious sausage dishes
9) Affordability: Provides great bang for the buck in terms of calories, nutrients and satiety.
10) It tastes good: One of the reasons why people struggle with weight loss is because they try to eat what they perceive to be “healthy” foods that simply don’t taste as good as other foods. Taste is a major reason why 95% of Americans eat meat and poultry. There’s nothing better than enjoying your food and losing weight at the same time.
For more on meat and nutrition visit http://www.meatpoultrynutrition.org/